March 1982, Eileen sitting in front of her painting of Fred
The Frederic Whitaker and Eileen Monaghan Whitaker Foundation (The Whitaker Foundation) has opened the next round of its nationwide undergraduate Art Scholarship Program, The Whitaker Foundation Art Scholarship Fund.
Applications for the Spring 2023 Scholarships will be accepted from September 20 through November 22, 2022.
The Foundation intends to support art students with a special emphasis on watercolor and museum studies and to help them meet the diverse needs of today’s professional art and museum world.
Through the application process students are required to gain knowledge of the Whitakers’ works through submitted essays or watercolor paintings.
Read about past winners and honorable mention awardees in the blog.
2 Scholarships are offered:
• One $2,000 (1) Bachelor of Fine Art scholarship (watercolor emphasis)
• One (1) $2,000 Bachelor of Art in Art History or Museum Studies scholarship
• Application period opens on September 20, 2022 and closes at 11:59 p.m. PDT November 22, 2022
1. Must be an undergraduate student at a nationally accredited degree-granting institution working towards a Bachelors degree in Fine Art, Art History, or Museum Studies
2. Must be a student in good academic standing with a minimum 3.0 GPA
3. Must be an American Citizen or a legal resident (with a green card) of the United States. Scholarship winners will be asked to submit their social security numbers. This is an IRS requirement.
4. Must be 18 years or older at the time of entry.
Applicants will be REQUIRED to submit an OFFICIAL TRANSCRIPT should they be selected for the scholarship. If you are a finalist, you will be notified and asked to have a transcript sent to the Foundation. There is no need to have one sent earlier.
Transcripts MUST be sent from the applicant’s school and MUST BE received within TEN DAYS. Schools may send the transcripts via the internet.
All Bachelor of Fine Art applicants MUST submit images of TWO original WATERCOLOR paintings. All watercolor paintings MUST have been painted after January 1, 2021. Applications with only ONE image or MORE THAN TWO images will not be considered.
All Art History and all Museum Studies applicants MUST submit an essay responding to the question asked on the application. The REQUIRED length between 500 to 1,000 words. Essays outside of this range may not be considered.